Tips for Choosing the Perfect New Front Door
Is choosing a new door part of your next remodeling project? Getting a new door is a great decision, as front doors can dramatically change your home’s curb appeal and are one of the most cost-effective remodeling choices. A new front door can actually increase your home’s value if you select the right one. Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect new front door.
Your typical front door is made of vinyl, but that is far from your only option. Quality front doors are also available in wood and steel. There are pros and cons to each of these materials:
- Vinyl: While vinyl doors last the longest, and are typically the cheapest, they offer less security, beauty and energy efficiency than the other options.
- Wood: It is hard to beat a solid wood door for beauty and energy efficiency. On the other hand, wood can warp and dry out, so maintaining a wood door is important.
- Steel: The strongest material, steel doors can help prevent break-ins. As they have foam cores, they can also help keep your home at the right temperature.
Steel doors typically have the best ROI when it comes time to sell your home, but ultimately you should choose the door material that works best with your priorities.
Weatherstripping & Windows
Front doors can be a big source of heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer. Material plays a big role in this, but windows and weather stripping do too. Doors with windows may be more beautiful to some, and they also allow you to see who is at the door. However, windows will undermine your home’s energy efficiency.
Any door can be equipped with quality weatherstripping that can keep drafts out of your home. You just have to be sure to include the weatherstripping when you are making your purchase.
Try Something Unusual
Lately, unusual doors have caught the attention of the home décor and landscaping worlds. Your front door can be a chance to express your personal style, emphasize your home’s architecture or style, or even just bring a splash of color into your home’s front entrance and front hall.
There is plenty of inspiration for this online, but here are a few ideas that can get you started:
- Dramatize a landscaping color: Do you have a perennial in your yard that blooms a bright color? Try mirroring that color in your front door.
- Choose your favorite color: You can’t go wrong when you choose a color for which you have a personal affinity.
- Try Pastel: In many northern coastal communities, the whole house is painted a pastel color to bring brightness to winter days. Choosing a pastel color for just your door can be a greatly modified version of this style.
If you’d like to match your front door with your garage door, you can either buy them from the same company or repaint them both to match. Sometimes hardware stores can match the color of one door with paint, but it may be slightly off. If that will frustrate you, it is best to just paint them both.
Are you searching for residential remodeling services in Kansas City? Contact Empire Construction today!